Bug with Speakup and Dectalk

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Tue Sep 14 18:16:24 EDT 2004

I certainly noticed the apostrophe bug as well.  In fact, I think it may
have also existed in a freeware DOS screen reader called Provox.  I
suspect many of the other odd behaviors that others have noticed are the
results of running different versions of the firmware.  For the record,
the software Dectalk may sound muddy, but it does not display the
apostrophe bug, but has ones all its own.  I think these are the fault of
the software rather than Speakup, but they are worth noting.  Any capital
letter is spoken as though it were in quotes.  For example, if I type a
capital letter F, I will hear "quote f quote" with the F in a higher
pitch.  The second annoying glitch with the software Dectalk is that
compound words which begin with "fire" are treated totally wrong.  For
example, the word "firewall" gets pronounced as though the euro symbol was
in front of it, and the rest of the line is pronounced as though the
Dectalk were trying to speak a foreign language.  Another reason why I say
that Fonix's software is completely lacking in professionalism.  Do they
even beta test it?  I guess that's the beauty of open-source software.
When there is a bug, we can do something about it besides complain.