question about DECtalk express voices and pitch

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Wed Sep 8 21:05:15 EDT 2004

Hi.  I just started using a DECtalk express.  I notice a strange problem
when I use any voice except 0 (Paul).  If I change to another voice, it
seems to work.  However, the pitch will change if I do anything like
spelling a word with a capital letter.
For example:
change to voice 4 (Betty).  She sounds ok, but not exactly like my
software DECtalk.  If I change the pitch by spelling a word with a
capital letter or use insert 2 then inssert 3 to mess with the pitch the
voice changes.  After that point, changing the pitch has little
effect.  Voice 0 (Paul is the only voice that doesn't have this problem.
In the case of Betty, the pitch becomes to low and you can't get the
voice back unless you echo 4 to /proc/speakup/voice.
Does anyone else have this problem, and does anyone know a solution?

Thanks in advance.
          Kenny