serial conversion with speakup

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Oct 31 21:38:32 EST 2004

Frankly, I would just go with software speech--especially if you have a
decent audio system on that laptop and are able to play other audio
while getting software speech.

To my mind any kind of attachment on a laptop is a nuisance, whether its
a serial cable to an external synth, or a pcmcia card plus the cable and
the hw synth, or a usb cable and synth for that matter. I believe
laptops are more easily used without extra appendages hanging off every
port.