Internet Broadcasting

John McCann lists at jamsite.us
Wed Oct 27 19:25:53 EDT 2004

Greg:

You wrote:

"Actually, even if you didn't remember how to restart vsftpd, you could
still have restarted it without rebooting by going into single user mode,
and then going back into multiuser mode using telinit to switch the run
levels."

Many thanks for taking the time to post this, Greg, but I have to emphasize
in the strongest terms that I am a "major league" newby when it comes to
linux; hence, your post engenders the following questions:

1. How does one go into "single user" mode?
2. What is telinit?
and
3. What is a run level?

Okay, I'm not requesting that those questions be addressed on list, given
that the preponderance of participants here are obviously operating at a
more sophisticated / informed level than I am at this point. . For now, I
pretty much lurk on this list, trying to understand what little I can while
I spend the rest of my "linux edification" time reading man pages and just
playing around with my system.

Keep on keeping on, folks; I'll get a handle on all this stuff at some
point!

John