Linux Kernel Support for Wireless Adaptor

Terry D. Cudney terry at wasaga.dyns.net
Tue Oct 26 15:31:48 EDT 2004

Hi,

	A nmumber of us here on the list are using wireless cards, although, to my knowledge all are using built-in or on-a-card wireless solutions. In your case, you have two hurdles to clear: the usb interface and the particular wireless chip used in the wireless device.
	My best advice would be to do some checking/reading as to which chips are used in both your usb interface on your computer and the wireless chip in the device you want to interface to the computer. If both are supported in the linux kernel, or through a module, then get the usb working on your computer first, then get the wireless working.

	Myself, I'm using a usb interface to my cable modem, but an ethernet card to interface to my wireless access point/router. On my laptop, the wireless device is builtin, but treated as a PCI device withthe Prism 2.5 wireless chip. I have had no success with the wireless drivers included with the kernel for this chip, but the module from http://www.linux-wlan.com/ works perfectly. Please note that they have modules for the Prism series of wireless chips there. If you have  another wireless chip in your device look elsewhere for the driver. Google is your friend in this...

	HTH,

	--terry