problem installing realplayer 8

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Sat Oct 23 10:47:21 EDT 2004

I just installed speakup-modified FC2 on both my desktop and laptop
computer. I'm extremely pleased with the way everything is working right
out of the box.
However, I do have one problem. Because I still use trplayer for some
things, I installed the realplayer rpm from the speakup site. This worked
fine on my laptop, but on my desktop I was told that this rpm (which says
i386 in its filename) is intended for i686 architecture. Admitedly, uname
shows my desktop as an i586 whereas my laptop does indeed show up as an
i686. However, I've never before had to find separate realplayer packages
for the two machines. Is there a workaround for this or am I going to be
unable to install Realplayer 8 on my desktop? Btw, if you install
Realplayer 8, you do get a complaint about unable to pen display: set your
environment variable and try again. But in reality it works just fine and
allows the installation of trplayer--no complaints about unmet
dependencies or missing libraries.

--
Cheryl