Links the chain

LARRY SKUTCHAN lskutchan at aph.org
Thu Oct 14 16:32:06 EDT 2004

Thanks, yes all this helps very much.  When I saw that Links the chain supported Java script, I tried it, and no go.  But, when I downloaded the latest version, I found that it did, although it still did not get me onto my banking site properly.  I will have to play with that a little more.

They both seem to be very slick and responsive programs.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 11:56:34PM EST, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Perhaps someone who's used the chain more than I have can expostulate on
> some of the subtelties. But my bottom line is that the chain's
> developers have done a pretty good job of adding the kind of blind
> friendly functionality that has proven so valuable.

There are a few differences indeed. For a start, links the chain has a
menu-like system for controlling options etc, which appear in dialog
boxes. However, this interface is simplified a lot if one turns on the
Braille Terminal mode from the terminal options in the settings menu.
For those who want to know how to turn it on, load links, press ALT + S,
then T. Press the up arrow 3 times, and press the space bar to check the
option. Then simply press enter. Don't forget to save your options by
pressing ALT + S, then S.

Links the chain supports both frames and tables, although I personally
have these turned off, since I am used to reading pages in a linear
fashion, although this doesn't always help with data tables, but since I
don't really have to read any of these, there is no big deal.

Links the chain supports JavaScript. Note that JavaScript is very much
different to Java, which is in fact not supported by ANY text browser at
all. This is helpful for some dynamic content sites that implement the
use of JavaScript a lot, however I have found a few bugs in the links
JavaScript code. :)

Links the chain does not have very good cookie support however. This is
where I need to use lynx the cat for such sites.

I hope all this helps

Luke