16 bit flite and speech-dispatcher

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Tue Oct 12 16:46:25 EDT 2004

I was forced recently to reinstall my system, and am now attempting to
restore soft speech. I have run into an early snag which perhaps someone
might help with:

I am compiling with GCC 3.3.4, so I patched the flite sources, then
compiled and installed after configuring for shared libraries and the 16
bit voice. All is well. Flite works okay.

Then I configured, compiled, and installed speech-dispatcher 0.5RC1, no
problems.

Next I ran the recommended test on speech-dispatcher, and the test ran
through all the steps, but no speech output. The text messages
describing the attempted tests appeared okay, but no sound output.

I have not a clue where to look next. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Chuck

Home page at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
Speakfreely address 24.105.197.112:2074