fw debian speakup installation problems

Sean McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Thu Oct 7 14:10:18 EDT 2004

Does this problem happen when you first stick the cd in or after you reboot?
The keyword for the bns is speakup_synth=bns  lowercase letters.  Does this
computer communicate with your echo when not using speakup?  Here I'm making the
bold assumption that you have some other type of screen reader on that computer.
If you can't get your echo to talk, at all on that computer, it could be your
cerial port is disabled in the bios.  If this isn't the case and it does work
with other screen readers, you will need more investigation.  Remember when you
looked in the readme file on the iso that the iso has both speakup and
non-speakup kernels.  I found when I typed speakup_synth=bns at the prompt, that
worked no initial linux on that command.