Debian Uninstall Question

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Sat Oct 2 18:30:34 EDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 07:53:22AM EST, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Is there a way to remove a related group of applications with apt? Or do
> you have to take them out one at a time and do it in the right order
> because of the dependencies?

I think it depends on what is in the group of packages you want removed, perhaps
meta packages would be useful in this case, depending on version, I guess.

> I ask because I have an old Pentium 2 with a fairly small hd, and I need
> to take out all the X (except perhaps the Xlibs). The hd is getting full
> and this box is too slow for Gnome anyway.

I think you can simply remove x-window-system and gnome-desktop-environment to
remove the respective sets of packages, however I am not sure whether that would
remove everything, and there is also a chance it will remove packages that you
still might need for other things.

Luke