sound on laptop

Juan Hernandez juanh at cox.net
Fri Oct 1 17:40:59 EDT 2004

hello everyone I have a problem,

I installed fedora core 2 on my sony vaio pcgfxa53 notebook.  I upgraded the kernel to  2.6.8.1.  I know from past expeariance, on my desktop, I had to unmute the sound on my computer, so I did amixer set Master 100 unmute, I did this, and I am not getting any sound.  when ever I play try to play an mp3, some how, the system speaker is disabled.  what I mean is when you are at a prompt, and if you hit backspace, you usually hear a beep, in my case this is not the case.  when I rebookt the laptop wit works, but when I go and play a mp3, or try and configure the sound it doesn't work.  any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  thanks