software speech on Slackware, Debian, and others?

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Thu Nov 11 13:02:41 EST 2004

David,

I forgot to mention: Including the statements I described in the
/etc/rc.d/rc.local file means that the software speech begins talking in
time to serve as a prompt for the first login screen upon bootup. So in
my case, I could actually just forget about the "ltlk" device and select
"none" as my default synth, letting the "speakwith" script start the
software speech just prior to displaying the login screen.

Chuck

Home page at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
Speakfreely at hhs48.com:2074