Word processing in linux

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Nov 10 06:41:27 EST 2004

Not quite, Ann. Tyler could also use HTML which has long been able to
produce tables and other structural layout. It would be necessary to do
the HTML by hand, but that has its own significant educational reward.
And, it's an open, nonproprietary, platform agnostic document
specification--very much unlike Word.

Somewhat more difficult to learn, but providing more layout control, is
latex, which is very well supported by Emacs.

Not only is this a good opportunity to learn how to produce good layout,
it's an opportunity to learn how to stand up for oneself and confront
authority in a constructive manner. If the school is demanding
submissions in Microsoft Word, then this kind of approach may be in
order.

n the other hand, if the requirement is to produce well reasoned and
produced content, HTML is certainly up to the task.