getting software speech with fedora and speakup?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Nov 9 10:16:26 EST 2004

The archives are the best place to start. Unfortunately, they're not set
up for searching. Also, they're archived by month--so you may have some
work to find all the details. My recollection is that we had very
substantive and helpful discussion about this last June, possibly last
May.

Essentially you do:

Get speech-dispatcher and get it working with either Festival or Flite.
DEC Talk is also possible, as I understand it.

Get speechd-up (might sometimes be called speechd_up because some people
seem to think that - and _ are interchangeable).

Once the above two are working, you have what you need. You can further
augment with one of the scripts that make the job of starting and
switching voices easier. You'll find those sprinkled through the
archives, but one was recently posted here by Chuck Hallenback.

Good luck. Perhaps we'll have a HOWTO on this subject soon.