figured out Gnome problem

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Nov 8 11:48:25 EST 2004

Indeed. Might have thought of this before, so am commenting on it now
for others.

Gnome (and perhaps other X Window environments) has a screen that will
pop up after you enter your password if the manager is unable to get to
the Internet for whatever reason. In a general sort of way it warns you
that some functionality may be unavailable and asks you to confirm that
you want to proceed without networking--or fix the problem and try
again.

This is worth noting as it will come up especially for laptop users who
may not be connected to the net from time to time.

Of course, the real fix is a fully speaking login process. Fortunately,
I believe this is now possible with Gnome 2.8 which has shipped.