Tar Backups and Size Limits

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Sun Nov 7 16:23:34 EST 2004

Hi,
First, allow me to clear up a little bit of confusion regarding limits of
fat32. When you look at a filesystem, there are two major limits you will
run into. The first is an over all limit, meaning how large the entire
filesystem can be. The second limit is a bit more suttle. It is a limit on
the size of an individual file. The fat32 filesystem can support filesystems
up to 2 terabytes in total size. However, each individual file in a fat32
filesystem may not be larger than 4gigabytes. Now, I will address Steve's
original question.

The tar program is designed for tapes, and all the -f option does is to tell
it to write the same contents to a file that it would write to the tape.
This means that when it hits the size limit you have specified with -L it
will simply start over with the next portion in the file. What you have to
do to get around this if you want to do it this way is to have a script that
runs in between each portion (see the -F option) which will rename the file
tar uses for its work to something else so that when tar recreates it for
the next part you don't lose the previous one. Tar does not automatically
provide this functionality. I can provide more details on how such a script
would work if desired.

You do have one other option. You could format the drive using ext2 or ext3,
and then use ext2fsd under Windows to read and write the filesystem. The
driver is not perfect, but it does work. This would overcome your size
limitation. This would also allow you to use the -j option to tar since you
would be using a single file, meaning the file would be much smaller since
you would be using compression.
--
Joseph C. Lininger
jbahm at pcdesk.net
Verification: 5eab38a77ac40416e075be8f50607ff7