Tar Backups and Size Limits

Allan Shaw technews at nexx-step.com
Sun Nov 7 09:34:38 EST 2004

Fat16 which is the original DOS file format has a 2 GB limit, Fat32 which
came with Win9X can address much larger drives but I'm not sure if a 200 GB
drive is outside its limits nor if Linix will recognize Fat32.
You'll encounter similar problems under Windoes since not all file formats
are recognized by all operating systems for example, home versions
recognize Fat16 and Fat32 not NTFS, Professional versions recognize Fat16
and NTFS not Fat32 however this has changed some what under XP.