routers that are accessible

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Sat Nov 6 08:42:37 EST 2004

you're probably gonna find that replacing that box with a router is
more like a downgrade. Most consumer routers don't have any advanced
features, the firewalls are either not configurable or very basic, and
a lot of times they only have a web-based interface that relies
heavily on javascript.
The speed of a p133 shouldn't be a problem for routing, I've worked on
one that serves aprox. 20 computers and it keeps up with the demand
fine.
If you experience slowness, make sure all the NICs are 100mb, and make
sure you have at least 64mb ram. the parts for machines of that era
are usually easy to find and extremely cheap (I have boxes of parts
from machines of that era all obtained from stuff being dumped).
On Sat,
Nov 06, 2004 at 08:19:11AM -0500, Scott Howell wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I asked about this a while back, but can't find my list. What I'm
> looking for is a router that would have an interface that would be
> accessible via lynx or telnet. If not possible, which router has folks
> had the best luck with in terms of configuration and have you used
> something like Freedom Box or a browser like Mozilla under Gnome to
> access it.
> I'd like to get a router that has a good firewall that supports nat and
> all that good stuff. My goal is to take this old P133 offline. Any
> thoughts or advice appreciated.
>
> Scott

In most countries selling harmful things like drugs is punishable.
Then howcome people can sell Microsoft software and go unpunished?
	-- Hasse Skrifvars, hasku at rost.abo.fi,