playing multiple sound streams with single channel card?

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Thu Nov 4 03:21:30 EST 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 04:43:11PM EST, David Bruzos wrote:
> Hi again:
> One of the problems with software speech is that most laptop sound hardware can not play multiple sounds at the same
> time.  This can be a big problem, if you like to listen to music or play any other sounds while using your computer.  I
> have this problem on my laptop and I would like to fix it...

If you use ALSA, there is in fact a plugin to do just this called dmix.
the downside is you have to write a somewhat complex configuration file
to make it work properly, and then it requires a lot of tweaking to get
right, and even then you can't get best results.

I suggest going to http://www.alsa-project.org and looking through their
documentation section about this.

Luke