abcde for fedora?

David Bruzos david at bruzos.org
Thu Nov 4 02:53:33 EST 2004

Hi:
Fedora comes with a package manager called "yum" which provides similar functionality to "apt".  I like yum very very
much.  It is simple to use and very powerful.  There are many yum rpm databases on the net too. Most software
you would ever need you can get by typing:
# yum install package1 package2 package3 ...

The only disadvantage of "yum" is that it is much slower than "apt", because it is written in python.  However, it does
not really matter, because the handling of RPMS is performed by the "rpm" program, which runs at full speed...  You
might just see that it takes a long time to find dependencies and stuff like that.  I use it
on a 300 MHZ machine without any problems, so most people should not have problems either.

David Bruzos