incremental backups with tar

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Wed Nov 3 23:39:18 EST 2004

First of all, using a dach on the x, c, f, etc., options, is optional, for
many versions of tar.  I normally do use a dash, for consistancy--they are
just normal options, after all, and there is no reason why they should not
have a dash.

As to your first question: I don't know why, but you should use the new
format.

For your third question: the file will be created by tar the first time
you use it, and managed by it on following executions.

For example:

tar -g index.lst -cf backup.tar *