is there a way to play this stream in GNU/Linux

David Csercsics david at really.isa-geek.net
Mon May 31 19:08:05 EDT 2004

>I've just tried something else. I opened the stream in the other OS,
>and ran tcpdump on my server to see what was happening in terms of the
>ip address and ports. The interesting thing is that the stream
>apparently comes from 66.250.188.214 on tcp port 80, with the
>destination address being the windows machine playing the stream with
>a destination port of 1079. There is also traffic going from my
>windows machine on port 80, to 66.250.188.214 port 1079.
>
>Going to 66.250.188.214 port 1079, doesn't give me anything, it looks
>like they have it firewalled off. However, pointing links/lynx to
>http://66.250.188.214 gives me the following message: video/x-ms-asf
>D)ownload, or C)ancel.
>
>Naturally, I downloaded the file, however mplayer doesn't like the
>file.
>
>mplayer: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: no version information available
>(required by mplayer)
>MPlayer 1.0pre4-3.3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
>
>CPU: Intel Pentium III Katmai/Pentium III Xeon Tanner 601.6 MHz
>(Family: 6, Stepping: 3)
>Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
>CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
>Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
>To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with
>- --disable-runtime-cpudetection.
>Reading config file /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
>Reading config file /home/greg/.mplayer/config
>Reading /home/greg/.mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open
>'/home/greg/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
>Reading /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: 66 audio & 176 video codecs
>font: can't open file: /home/greg/.mplayer/font/font.desc
>Font /usr/share/mplayer/font/font.desc loaded successfully! (206
>chars)
>Using usleep() timing
>Can't open input config file /home/greg/.mplayer/input.conf: No such
>file or directory
>Can't open input config file /etc/mplayer/input.conf: No such file or
>directory
>Falling back on default (hardcoded) input config
>
>Playing test.media.
>Cache fill:  0.01% (46 bytes)
>
>Exiting... (End of file)
>
>I named the file test.media, since in the save box in lynx, the file
>name is the ip address, so it looks like the file extention wouldn't
>matter. The file is actually a text file, and reads:
>
>[Reference]
>Ref1=http://192.168.100.122:80/
>
>As you can see, the URL in that file is an internal class C IP
>address. So the idea is that IE downloads the file, which in turn
>somehow directs it to play the stream from the internal address. I
>can't think of a way to duplicate this, since there would be no
>difference as far as I can see between having the browser pass the
>file to mplayer, and me passing the already saved file to mplayer from
>the shell.
>
>I couldn't agree with you more, these ever increasing embedded players
> [...]

So they're  calling some windows-specific code to do the streaming
form that internal IP I suspect that serverside scripts are  handling
some of that stuff. If I knew javascript I would take a peek at the
javascript source to see  if it sheds any light on this weird method
for streaming audio but I don't understand a word of that language.