is there a way to play this stream in GNU/Linux

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Mon May 31 18:00:34 EDT 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I finally managed to get the slackware mplayer package working on my
> system. Given the fact that mplayer can play windows media streams,
> there is a local radio station which streams in windows
> media. However, they stream in a window in IE, and don't actually open
> windows media player. The URL that will take you to their stream is
>
> http://www.windy100.com/listen.php/
>
> I've been trying to find a way to play this in the console under
> GNU/Linux, so that I would have one less thing that I need the other
> OS for, but so far no luck. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

It'll take somework, but if you use Links the chain, you might be able to
figure out what kind of stream it is and set up a file assosciation - why
they don't use mime types and mailcap is beyond me, but ...

Anyway, I reckon that's your best bet, since it's a javascript link, the
cat won't touch it.

HTH

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808