Speech Dispatcher 0.4 released

Hynek Hanke hanke at volny.cz
Fri May 28 12:00:33 EDT 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 08:09:44AM -0600, Dawes, Stephen wrote:
> This is all good, but has the work done by Kirk and Jacob to get speakup
> working with SPD been incorporated into this new release?

This was mainly my work on the user side :) Of course, Kirk did the
Speakup kernel side of this.  The program that enables you to
interface Speakup to Speech Dispatcher is called speechd-up, that is
something different from Speech Dispatcher.

You might thing about Speech Dispatcher as a server that provides an easy
way for user space aplications to use speech synthesizers. Then there are
different applications that take the advantage of this (speechd-el for
Emacs, speechd-up for Speakup, spd-say as a line client...).

So the work that needed (and still needs to be done) in the
Speakup-Speech Dispatcher interfacing is done in speechd-up.

speechd-up is a separate thing. It still lacks some basic Speakup commands
so there is not a public release yet, but you can download it from CVS.

(For the people who use it here: There might be a little improvement in
the performance if you recompile and reinstall speechd-up now after
installing Speech Dispatcher 0.4, because a problem with the TCP
communication causing unnecessary delays was fixed. You need to
recompile speechd-up because it was a fix in the shared library, so
you need it to be linked against the newer libraries.)

With Regards,
Hynek