bug in Speakup-utils

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Wed May 26 22:52:34 EDT 2004

Apparently, Speakup Utils has problems if the exact settings it expects
aren't present.  For example, with the Accent PC, there is no voice
setting, but instead, there is a tone setting.  So, when you arrow to the
voice setting, a value of 0 is reported.  After this, all values are stuck
at zero and cannot be changed.  It would seem to me that the logical
approach would be to skip non-existent settings.  Another approach would
be to make all synthesizers in Speakup have the same controls.  I.E. give
the Accent drivers a voice setting and have it map to the tone setting.
This is basically what screen readers for that other OS tend to do.
Which approach seems more logical to you all?