almost success

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon May 24 21:31:18 EDT 2004

Congrats, Steve. You have pulled it off! <grin>

Don't forget to make yourself an initrd. For your reference, here's my /boot/grub/grub.conf:

cut here

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda1
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=20
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358spk)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358spk ro root=LABEL=/ vga=0x31B
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.5-1.358spk.img
cut here

Notice the Ctrl-G in the title line? This causes the PC speaker to beep when you get to this stage of the boot. This is handy in case you want to do something non standard, like go into single user mode.

You need to eliminate the splash image for this to work. In my case, I just renamed the file by giving it a .bk extension.