Look what I found, Why wasn't it installed

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed May 19 18:46:54 EDT 2004

Karen,

Debian and Redhat seem to have the largest number of pre-compiled
packages for their distros.  Slackware doesn't have as many but that
doesn't bother me much because I don't mind compiling from sources and
crawling under the hood from time to time.  This thread was dealing
with some issues with Redhat (now called Fedora).  I personally have
run into some problems with some prebuilt packages as the builder of
said package left some options or features out and I ended up having
to compile and install the original source in order to get those
features.  Example of this was PHP for Slackware; the package was not
built with postgres support and I needed that.  The only way to fix
that was to compile from sources.  Obviously, one could probably do
the same thing if this happened in a Redhat environment.  Packages are
good when starting out or for getting the basic system going before
our fun and games begin:).