Booting with different kernels -- what am I missing?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed May 19 17:29:38 EDT 2004

You don't say that you compiled this new kernel. Did you? Or did you
just try to run a binary you found somewhere? It's generally not a good
idea, as others have said, to mix and match very much, because you may
not get something that works.

In any case, the actual reason for the failure is likely just above the
kernel oops message. And, isn't Speakup wonderful that you can still
read your screen after the computer has crashed? Try that with some
other OS.