Talking Gentoo?

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Mon May 17 21:49:57 EDT 2004

Well actually, after reading the Gentoo installation instructions, I'm not
sure I'm ready for it yet.  I didn't exactly run away screaming as I pretty
much understand what's going on, but it is a bit time consuming to install
Gentoo.  With Gentoo, as I understand it, you do most of the configuration
work yourself whereas with, say, Debian 3, you just tell the menu system
what to do, and when you boot up for the first time you've got a nice base
system, ready to be configured.  It does all the hard work for you.
Also, why do you have to build a kernel to use Gentoo?  Why can't you just
use the one from the live cd?
Jayson.