swap and tempfs

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Mon May 17 20:13:34 EDT 2004

be careful about using tmpfs for /tmp though. As Gene says, you can run out
of temp space. What I want to add to that is that you most likely will.
Often times, a program creates a temporary file because the structure it is
working with has the potential to grow outside of the available ram. If it
does, well, your in trouble, and the hole purpose for the program using the
temp file was useless. Of course, this is not always the reason for a temp
file, but...
- ---
Joseph C. Lininger
jbahm at pcdesk.net
note, the following is used for automated processing. Please leave in tact
if quoting me in a reply.
Verification: 5eab38a77ac40416e075be8f50607ff7