swap and tempfs

Shaun Oliver shaun.oliver at optusnet.com.au
Mon May 17 11:33:51 EDT 2004

I heard tell that Gene Collins delivered up the following on Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:21:54AM -0500,
*SNIP*
> Hello all.  I've lost Cheryl's original message, but here are a couple
> of thoughts about swap and tempfs.
>
>  Unlike windows, it is not necessary to assign a two to one ratio of
swap space
> to ram, a one to one ratio is sufficient.  Thus, if you have 256 meg of
> ram, then a 256 meg swap space is a good idea, and not the 512 meg of
> swap that Windows would want.

that's only partly true.
windows only requires as a minimum, 1 and a half times the memory for
swapspace.
e.g. if you're running 256 mb ram, the default size of your pagefile.sys
would be 384 mb.
512 mb 768 mb and so on.
hth

--
Shaun Oliver

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."
email: shaun.oliver at optusnet.com.au
WEB: http://blindman.homelinux.org/~blindman/
IRC: irc.awesomechat.net:6666
IRCNICK: blindman