Flite and different voices

Hynek Hanke hanke at volny.cz
Sun May 9 17:12:02 EDT 2004

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 01:04:04PM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> I just got around to looking further into trying the sd_flite module
> both in my /usr/local/bin directory and in the original source. I ran
> ./sd_flite and still go the old 8-bit voice.

I'm sorry for this, I should have noticed this earlier. Although you
change the library to link in the local Makefile, the cmu_us_kal still
gets there in a $(LIBS) variable from the global configure.in. If you
change it also in speechd/configure.in to link cmu_us_kal16 instead of
cmu_us_kal, do a make distclean and then compile everything from
scratch (./build.sh, ./configure, make, make install), you should get
the better voice.

Still, this is only an ugly solution. I'll try to somehow make it
switch voices at runtime in the future, although Flite is absolutely
not designed for such things. As for now, I guess I'll only add a
compile-time option to the ./configure script for the 0.4 release
which should be available by the end of this month.

With Regards,
Hynek