Flite and different voices

Hynek Hanke hanke at volny.cz
Fri May 7 16:52:35 EDT 2004

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 08:46:46AM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> Alas, after doing all that, I still get the shitty 8-bit voice! I've
> run out of ideas at the moment.

Are you sure that the module Speech Dispatcher uses for flite is your
newly compiled module? Doesn't it still use the old one? The changes
you made sound reasonable to me.

When experimenting with this, you might want to consider running
the module directly for test purposes.

The binary is usually build in
	src/modules/.libs/
or you can use the libtool script
	src/modules/
in the source directory of speechd.

You can run the module standalone with the configuration file like this:
	./sd_flite 1
/usr/local/etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/flite.conf or similar. The
'1' is not important here, it doesn't do anything. The module makes
logs and everything as usually but instead of Speech Dispatcher
comunicating to it on stdin, you type the commands.

So after you execute it, type

SPEAK[ENTER]
Hello, is this the new voice?[ENTER]
.[ENTER]

and it should say it. This is useful when you don't want to install
everything after each experiment in flite.c or other modules.

With Regards,
Hynek Hanke