Speechd-up Issues

Hynek Hanke hanke at volny.cz
Fri May 7 07:56:34 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 11:25:41PM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> You doing a laptop too? Well that makes the observations even more
> similar.  I tried several values of sleep with no improvement.  One
> thing I didnot try is a sleep count between starting of
> speech-dispatcher and loading up the speakup synth driver by
> initializing /proc/speakup/synth_name; guess that's another area to try:).

If you want to experiment with timing issues, please do so. The most
logical order is this:

1) load speakup-sftsyn (as this has nothing to do with the next step,
2) load speech-dispatcher (necessary for speechd-up)
3) now you have to ,,wait'' till both speakup-sftsyn and speech-dispatcher
are up and running
4) run speechd-up

Note that speechd-up should complain (return with an error code) if
either speakup-sftsyn or speech-dispatcher is not up and running when
it's being started. But there might be a bug somewhere. More info is welcomed.

Best Regards,
Hynek Hanke