Speechd-up Issues

Hynek Hanke hanke at volny.cz
Thu May 6 18:29:38 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 11:19:27AM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> I'm down to a strange pattern on one of my boxes when it comes to
> launching Speech Dispatcher, speakup and speechd_up in that order.  It
> basically comes down to this.  dispatcher and speakup are loading
> correctly; that is, /proc/speakup/synth_name is properly set to
> softsynth.  If I do this sequence from any shell script, speechd_up
> logs an error about [y being an invalid command or something and I get
> no speech.

Speechd_up is a client of Speech Dispatcher. Speech Dispatcher is something
as a server that provides an uniform API for the clients that want to use
software synthesis. So, if you start speechd-up from the script directly after
Speech Dispatcher, Speech Dispatcher doesn't have enough time to fully start
and speechd-up can't connect to it.

You need to add something as a one seccond pause before starting dispatchers clients
directly after starting the server itself. A better approach, I think, is to put
Speech Dispatcher somewhere in the init scripts and then only start or stop speechd-up
manually.

See "man sleep".

With Regards,
Hynek Hanke