speakup and cepstral? (fwd)

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Thu May 6 01:21:25 EDT 2004

--
Cheryl

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 12:43:35 -0500 (CDT)
From: Cheryl Homiak <chomiak at charter.net>
To: speakup <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Subject: Re: speakup and cepstral?

Ok, I have it primitively working.
Below is what i've done to the cpstral-generic.conf file. I decided to
eliminate things I didn't know how to handle yet, and add them back as I
figure it out. This works from the command prompt, does Pine, reads things
in more (haven't tried less), and cursor-tracking and numpad functions
seem to be functional. Works in pico or nano but I lose speechcompletely
when I load emacs and it doesn't come back until i kill speechd_up and
speech-dispatcher and start them again. Echos keystrokes but does not say
word after space but does say full completion when tab-completion is used.
I realize that what I've done and what I've left out still leaves a lot to
e desired, but it still is prgress. I haven't turned debugging on yet to
see what else I can find out; that might help me track down what's going
on when I load emacs.
I've only been using this a few minutes, so in additon to not handling
pitch and rate and the things i've mentioned above, there are probably all
sorts of problems. But the voice is really clear.
Further help and instruction will be eagerly accepted.
I've cut off the top of the .conf file for the sake of length.

GenericExecuteSynth \
"/usr/local/bin/theta -N $VOICE \"$DATA\"

# GenericStripPunctChars is a list (enclosed in doublequotes) of
# all the characters that should be replaced by whitespaces in
# order not to be badly handled by the output module or misinterpreted
# by shell.
# We need to strip `[' and `]', as these are DECTalk's
# command characters.
GenericStripPunctChars  "[]"

# AddVoice specifies which $VOICE string should be assigned to
# each language and symbolic voice name. All the voices you want
# to use must be specified here.
# NOTE:
# There is a multilingual version of DECTalk software, however I
# do not have it. Thus, only the US English voices are defined here.
# If you know about the other languages, please let us know on
# <speechd at freebsoft.org>

AddVoice	"en"	"MALE1"		"Frank"
# AddVoice	"en"	"MALE2"		"harry"
# AddVoice	"en"	"MALE3"		"dennis"
# AddVoice	"en"	"FEMALE1" 	"betty"
# AddVoice	"en"	"FEMALE2"	"ursula"
# AddVoice	"en"	"FEMALE3"	"wendy"
# AddVoice	"en"	"CHILD_MALE"	"kit"

# These parameters set _rate_ and _pitch_ conversion. This is
# part of the core of the definition of this generic output
# module for this concrete synthesizer, it's not intended to
# be modified by common users.
# The resulting rate (or pitch) has the form:
# 	(speechd_rate * GenericRateMultiply) + GenericRateAdd
# while speechd_rate is a value between -100 (lowest) and +100 (highest)
# You have to define some meaningful conversion for each synthesizer
# NOTE:
# Because DECTalk cannot accept float values, we must force them to be
# integers.

GenericRateForceInteger 1
GenericPitchForceInteger 1

GenericRateAdd 338
GenericPitchAdd	225

# (These values are multiplied by 100, because DotConf currently
# doesn't support floats. So you can write 0.85 as 85 and so on.)

GenericRateMultiply 262
GenericPitchMultiply 175

# Debug turns debugging on or off
# Debug 1

# DebugFile specifies the file where the debugging information
# should be stored (note that the log is overwritten each time
# the module starts)
# DebugFile "/tmp/debug-dtk-generic"

--
Cheryl