ftp and telnet.

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Wed May 5 17:19:21 EDT 2004

First, can you ftp and/or telnet to your machine, from your machine?
That is, from a shell prompt on the machine in question, what happens when
you type:

ftp localhost

If you get some kind of connection refused message there, you probably
don't have in.ftpd, or in.telnetd; or some other FTP/Telnet server,
installed.  Get one, and you should be okay.

If it works, you probably have a /etc/hosts.allow, and/or /etc/hosts.deny
problem (man hostaccess).

On Tue, 4 May 2004, cris wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I have a question which is probably elementary to most of you.  I tried to
> ftp and telnet to my linux computer from another computer in order to
> transfer a large file, but I got connection refused.  As far as I know I
> disabled the firewall on my linux box to allow me to telnet or ftp.  I typed
> the line command as follows for ftp. ftpnumerical address and hit inter.  I
> did the same with telnet and also got connection refused.  any ideas on how
> to go about that
> Regards,
> Cris?

Foreign Aid: Taxing poor people in rich countries for the benefit of
rich people in poor countries. - Bernard Rosenberg