Help! The Dectalk PC is hosing my clock!

Charles Crawford ccrawford at Starpower.net
Mon May 3 05:18:53 EDT 2004

I wish I could remember my Jiffy_Delta and delay settings but I think
they were the default settings.  I do remember a bit of trouble in
getting the dec pc to shut up with the control key but nothing serious.
As was suggested by a message from someone else, I don't understand why
you would have the problem you are having.  The only thing about which I
can speculate is perhaps a hardware interupt issue?

On Sun, 2 May 2004,
Adam Myrow wrote:

> I'm using kernel 2.4.26 under Slackware 9.1 if that helps.  Just to verify
> that it is indeed the Dectalk, I turned off speech and used Brltty only to
> read several emails, while repeating the same loop on another console of
> comparing the date with the system clock.  It stayed stable.  As soon as I
> started up the Dectalk speaking again, it started wondering again.  When I
> started typing this message, it was within a few milliseconds, and is now
> over 4 seconds off.  Since you were using it under Redhat, I'm wondering
> if the Dectalk driver is tuned for Redhat's faster clock rate?  I recall
> when Redhat 8 came out, they tweaked a value having to do with the clock
> speed of the kernel or something, and a lot of people had to adjust
> jiffy_delta and delay_time in Speakup to compensate because it caused
> their synthesizers to be choppy.  I'm wondering if adjusting those values
> might help?  My jiffy_delta is 50, and my delay_time is 500 now, which are
> default values.

-- Charlie Crawford