general Linux command

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Sun May 2 21:34:04 EDT 2004

Hi all,

Oh, I see, you mean you've given us the path just in case we need it,
or is that the real name of the file?    And, why on God's green earth
would you give us the Windows path command for a Linux tar ball?

Best to read the man page on tar after I give you the command.  Man
pages are tricky, and unless you understand what to look for, you
won't understand the thing, so here's the command.  However, get thee
to thy man page afterwards.

tar xzf filename.tar.gz

Do this in the directory where the file is.  If the file is not where
you want it, then move it with the mv command before you unpack it.
You might want to read man mv   too.  Gosh, I sure hope that isn't the
name of the file instead of its path and its name!!

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons
email:  akp at eznet.net
WEB SITE:  http://home.eznet.net/~akp
"All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost."  JRRT