sound card and Gnome

Brian W icu4real at mchsi.com
Sun May 2 17:00:00 EDT 2004

Hello,

I recently started with Linux - Fedora Core 1, and with help from Bill, I
am up and running with Speakup. After the installation, I ran sndconfig
and had sound working, but now it has stopped working.

In the interim I have installed Pine, updated to the latest version of
Brltty, and poked around in Gnome - this last with sighted help that is no
longer available. I also ran the yum update utility. I have not
configured Brltty yet.

I think the problem is with a change I made in Gnome, but am too new to
Linux to be sure of much of anything.)

We enabled the sound server in the
preferences. (I think that is what they called it at least.) I was trying
to find information on configuring gnopernicus, and in
frustration at finding only reference materials, but no step by step
information, I was just poking around to see what I could break or make
work by accident.

Well the only thing I have accomplished is to break the sound in the
console, where it used to work.

I have disabled the graphical boot to see if there are any errors, but
there are not. I intend to change the default boot so it does not boot up
into Gnome, but I do not know if that will help.

I use  Speakup with a DEC Talk Express.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
(Well, most any suggestions...)
I should add that while I am new to Linux, I am not new to computers.
Unfortunately perhaps, the way I learn is by trial and error. once I break
it, I struggle until I fix it, and usually learn something in the process.

Brian