Help! The Dectalk PC is hosing my clock!

Charles Crawford ccrawford at Starpower.net
Sun May 2 15:07:29 EDT 2004

	I was using the dectalk PC for awhile in a computer last fall.
It worked fine with Redhat 9 and I don't recall any clock problems.  I
don't remember the Kernel version but probably 2.4.

On Sun, 2 May 2004,
Adam Myrow wrote:

> Well, after getting the Dectalk PC2 driver working with Speakup, I never
> expected this.  When I'm actively using the Dectalk PC, my clock starts
> wondering into the sunset.  For example, by the end of the day yesterday,
> it was about 3 minutes slow.  Today, as a test, I set it and then ran a
> loop of having ntpdate query the time from time.nist.gov every 60 seconds.
> I had it set to query without setting the clock, so I could see how far it
> was drifting.  The offsets over just 3 minutes are alarming!
>
> 6.317230 seconds slow in minute one, 11.267927 seconds slow after 2
> minutes, 16.887154 seconds slow after minute 3, and so on.  If I leave the
> computer idle, with ntpd running to constantly adjust the time, it becomes
> stable, so it's clearly something that the Dectalk PC is doing.  Has
> anybody else had this problem?  For that matter, is anybody even using the
> Dectalk PC driver besides me?

-- Charlie Crawford