usr 5610 modem, was: Re: Installing Speakup

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat May 1 23:17:58 EDT 2004

Hmmm, you do have a ttyS4 device file in your /dev directory, right?

If your up to it, can you install minicom, so that we can rule out the
modem as the source of the problem? Do:

apt-get install minicom

Then, do:

minicom -s

to configure it, and set it up for /dev/ttyS4. The configuration
screens are fairly self-explanatory, so give me a yell if you're
confused there. Then, once you get into minicom's terminal screen
after exiting the configuration screen, minicom will try to initialize
the modem. You'll see the init string, followed by "ok" from the
modem. Then, type

at

and hit enter. If the modem responds with "ok", type

atdt

and hit enter, and you should hear the dial tone at this point. Hit the
spacebar to hang up the modem, and exit minicom.

If all of this went as described, then your modem isn't the
problem. If this didn't go as described, then please explain what
happened.

Greg