c++ with linux

Kyrath. (AKA Rob) kyrath at cox.net
Tue Mar 30 14:55:54 EST 2004

Hi,

If anyone is coding and compiling C++ programs on their linux box and is willing to answer some questions, and maybe even step me through a few things, I would appreciate it very much.  I also think it would be better to do this off list.

One of the reasons I decided to get involved with linux was to use it as a learning box for C++ programming.  Granted, trying to learn linux and C++ at the same time might be biting off a little too much too soon, but this is basically a hobby, so I can take my time with it.

Yesterday, I was just going through the "hello world" basics and found that I was unable to compile it at all.  If I can't get gcc to compile the simplest of programs to work, there's no use in pursuing it further.
Either I'm missing something, perhaps libraries, or I really don't understand how to use gcc at all.  BTW, I found the manual for gcc extremely techy and not helpful, at least not at this early stage.

Thanks
-- Rob