CLI vs. GUI (was Re: linux and accessibility applications)

Jacob Schmude jschmude at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 27 15:06:59 EST 2004

Hi
First off, the CLI never left. Every version of windows has one, even
though it's not that powerful and can't even come close to a linux shell.
Even if m$ does make the CLI in the next version powerful, how many
commercial apps are going to follow? And, furthermore, how many
non-technical computer users will be willing to use it? Like it or not,
you can get almost everything done in a GUI that can be done on a CLI and,
though I'm probably going to start a flame war by saying this, sometimes
it's easier. Deleting multiple files in a folder when those files don't
have similar names is a fine example. Under the CLI you'd have to specify
each and every file to the rm command, whereas what you do in most GUIs is
use the noncontiguous select method in the listview and hit delete.
Don't get me wrong, the CLI is great for many things, but GUIs are here to
stay, whether we like it or not. We either adapt... or we
get left in the dust as we almost did with windblows.
This is simply my opinion, don't bother sending a flame as it'll be headed
straight for /dev/null.