linux and accessibility applications

Rejean Proulx rejean at interfree.ca
Sat Mar 27 13:28:37 EST 2004

Tom, I thought that was well said.  I suspect that most sighted Linux users
use X windows.  I really don't need X windows to maintain my Server so I am
not that interested in it, however, if I was going to do work processing,
email or internet surfing, then I want a windows like interface.  Such
interfaces tend to combine many tiny commands in 1 process exempting us from
having to learn every little detail about a system.  Most of us don't have
time for that.  I tend to use things that most sighted people use if I can
because, it is easier to get upgrades and they come faster.  You can get
help more easily and interact with your peers or co-workers.  The Linux
shell has, can, does, and will serve blind people well for a while yet, but
I hope the attitude is not that we stop here, because if that is the case
then by all means flame.

I am happy to use both types of operating systems for their respective
strengths.  If I convert to using Linux completely then it must has Windows
like accessible support.  There are some who claim that I don't know the
Shell well.  That is true,. and it will stay that way.  In this business,
you learn what you need when you need it, otherwise you become a nervous
wreck.  There is too much to know.

I won't respond to every flame.  I don't have time for that, it it wouldn't
be constructive.