Dectalk Linux Question

Doug Sutherland wearable at cogeco.ca
Sat Mar 27 11:51:22 EST 2004

 > The runtime does come with the header files, but no sample applications.

Hmmm that is interesting. The programmer's guide is very detailed. The
"sdk" (whatever that is) may not be needed. As far as I can tell, all
you need is the .h files and the shared objects that are part of the
runtime. This is the case with viavoice also, there is one .h file and
two .so files (dictionary and runtime). That's it! That's the whole
viavoice TTS system. It appears that dectalk isn't much different.
Perhaps I will pay the $50 and see if I can program for dectalk.

I'm writing a driver, and some applications, possibly even some server
or middleware for viavoice. But then most people won't be able to use
it because of dependency on glibc-2.3.1 or earlier. Ideally I'd like
to write code that works with both viavoice and dectalk.

   -- Doug