The DECTalk USB

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Fri Mar 26 15:02:23 EST 2004

I don't know where this conversation has progressed, but I have this from
the company:

first please adjust the measurements of the new dectalk usb.  here is a
small blurb on the new unit.  don't worry about the version of the firmware
it was tailored to our needs.  sounds very much like v4.2cd.

thank you for your interest in the new dectalk usb.  the new
dectalk usb replaces the older retired dectalk express.  the new
dectalk usb does not only has a usb interface but it comes with a
conventional rs232 serial port that is 100 percent backwards
compatible to the older dectalk express.  this means that anything
that works with the older dectalk express will work with the new
dectalk usb.  you can power the new dectalk usb via the usb port
and connect it via a db9 rs232 straight through cable to the com
port on the pc.  using a screen reader you can set it for dectalk
express and you are ready to go.  however if you are not interested
in rs232 connectivity you can connect it via the usb port.  jaws
and window-eyes will both have a usb driver for their screen
readers, others will follow soon.  the new dectalk usb also can be
used on a 9 volt battery or supplied 6 volt d.c. adapter that will
power it if you don't have usb power available.  the 2 cables and
9 volt battery are furnished.  the new dectalk usb is 5.5x3.6x1.1
inches.  it weighs 9 ounces with the battery installed.  the
installation software comes on a supplied cd.  the selling price of
the new dectalk usb is $695.00.  the new dectalk usb is powered by
a arm motorola trackball 150mhz processor.  there is 32mb sdram,
16mb flash memory and the unit has a 2.5 inch internal speaker with
earphone jack, volume on/off switch.  i believe that pretty well
covers all the features of the new dectalk usb.  i hope this is
sufficient information, but if you have any additional questions
lease feel free to contact us.