verifying signatures

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Fri Mar 26 13:19:54 EST 2004

It sounds to me like you don't have your gpg set to automatically grab
keys from a key server. To set that up, edit your $HOME/.gnupg/options
file. First, you need to define which keyserver to use. The line that
I have reads:

keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net

Next, you need to tell gpg to automatically grab keys it doesn't
already have from the keyserver. The line I have is:

keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve include-disabled include-revoked

This tells gpg to automatically get keys from the server, including
those that have been disabled and revoked.

As for the command I use to verify signatures, in my .muttrc I have:

set pgp_verify_command="gpg --no-verbose --batch --output - --verify
%s %f"

I also have:

set pgp_verify_key_command="gpg --no-verbose --batch --fingerprint
- --check-sigs %r"

The command that imports keys is:

set pgp_import_command="gpg --no-verbose --import -v %f"

Don't ask me exactly what these do, because I simply cut and pasted
them from the mut with gpg howto, and haven't bothered examining them
in great detail, since they do what they're supposed to.

Greg