ram question

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Wed Mar 24 17:46:43 EST 2004

Hi all.

I've got my ram issues solved sort of.

I decided to try each of my ram modules by themselves again. Low and
behold, when I install the 256 module by itself in each dimm socket,
the system tells me I've only got 127Mb of ram available. I know I
said that I tried the 256 module by itself, and had the system report
the full size, but I only did that test once, and I've been known to
hear something different if I want to hear it badly enough, as opposed
to hearing what I'm really supposed to be hearing.

I then went and tried the 256 module in my other box, and that board
picks up the full size just fine. Now, I'm not hearing things this
time, because I powered the box off and then on about 5 times, and
still had it report the full ram size.

Also, feeling the module, I notice that there are chips on one side of
it, and the other side is blank. So, my guess is that the older board
in my server expects to find up to 128M on one side of the module, and
128M on the other side of the module, thus allowing me to place 256M
modules on the board. Thanks to all those who offered help and
suggestions, this list is great, and us helping each other out is what
makes it so.

Greg