network raid possible?

Shane Wegner shane-keyword-speakup.aca783 at cm.nu
Wed Mar 24 14:42:08 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 10:42:13AM -0500, Igor Gueths wrote:
> of NBD support. Because my problem eventually will be high traffic
> loads, so therefore I'm going to have to distribute the load across
> multiple machines...Thus the random returning of A records comes in. As

I have never actually deployed a system like this so take
this with a grain of salt.  Virtual servers should be able
to do what you want here.  I believe there is a
configuration where you'd have your front end server
dispatching the request to a select backend server through
a high-speed interconnect.  That backend would then send
the response directly to the client via its own net
connection.  You have your traffic scalability as a tipical
http request is quite small and the responses can be sent
over different connections.  I have no idea how the routing
for this works but have a look
at http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/ for more information.

Btw, if you're just serving static content, why not have an
nfs server and gigabit or multiple gigabit ethernet links
connecting it with your backends.

Shane Wegner
http://www.cm.nu/~shane/